Stomp of Approval!!!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Running in Minnesota

I have the joy of spending some time in beautiful Minneapolis Minnesota this week while training for a new position at work. I hadnt been to Minnesota as an adult. The last time I was here, I was probablly sportin some Huggies and a colorfull bib as to keep my onezie somewhat clean.

The first thing I noticed upon my arrival was all the Dandelion fluff looking white things floating through the air. Its almost as if it is snowing dry snow. Crazy! And its EVRRYWHERE!!!! Some waiter at a resturant informed us that its actually produced from Cotttonwood trees. I think its more than likley millions of baby aliens, in their larve stage, that were sent here to attempt to rule the planet and claim it as their own... Well Ive got news for them. That shit aint gunna fly once they start getting south of the Mason Dixon line.

But anyways, Ive had the pleasure of getting a few runs in while up here. Unfortunately I havent been running with my cell phone, so I have no photographic evidence of the events Im going to attempt to relay to you here, so you will just have to take my words for it.

I was expecting there to be massive hills that borderlined mountains. I was hoping to have inclines so damn steep that I would be almost scared by their stature. What I got instead was a gently rolling landscape with a few somewhat steep hills and some long gradual climbs / descents. The side walk system here is amazing. You could drive an 18 wheeler (or 2 Lotus Elises side by side) down these sidewalks. Their huge! Plenty of room for 2 way traffic, which was nice due to the high population of cyclists. It was almost like being in a slightly cooler and less humid Austin Texas, just not nearly as awesome.

I got in a nice 7.75 miles yesterday evening. It felt great! There were soo many of the alien larve in some areas that it was like running on top of a few down pillows. They would be wisked away by the wind under my feet. It was almost like I was running on the alien's home planet, Im sure of it.

It was also the first time Ive ever seen a wild beaver, or an Otter... It was definately one of the two small critters, just not sure which one. It was down a little gravel side road hidden off in the high grass to the side. Pretty cool looking! Whatever it was, it had built a few Beaver dams, which I understand that both animals build so it doesnt narrow it down any. Either way, pretty freakin sweet!!!!

Another point of interest was when I passrd older gentelman going the opposite direction. He smiled and asked me about how far I can go now, while motioning to my unshod feet. I replied and said "Pretty much as long as I want!" "good for you!" He says back and gives a quality thumbs up.

Pretty cool guy... For a Minnesotian... Lol.

posted from Bloggeroid

2 comments:

  1. I've had more spontaneous 'hellos' per mile in the twin cities than in any other place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't crash into the Mary Tyler Moore statue on Nicollet Mall!

    ReplyDelete