Stomp of Approval!!!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Negative Splits

Yes, the infamous "Negative Split" that is oh so elusive to many distance runners.

I've been trying to train myself to run negative splits in the majority of my training runs lately for a few reasons.

It helps simulate running on tired legs, but really, what doesn't? More so, it simulates running faster after running at a decent pace for awhile. This helps with the final kick in a race.


The main reason for this is because it seems to take my body a good mile or so before its warmed up. So the first mile is usually slowest. Then I gradually pick up the pace and finish with a good strong mile.

I have been using this on shorter runs (10 miles and under), but for the first time this weekend I used it on a 20 miler! It was a BLAST! My last 10 miles were ran over 6 minutes faster than my first 10, and all 20 were way faster than I normally run for that long of a distance.

On my shorter runs I will progressively run every mile dater and faster, with the last mile usually coming in somewhere under 7 minutes.

Not sure how this will help me accomplish most of my goals since they dont require running that fast. But theres 2 or 3 on the list that will benifit tremendously from this.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment